Search This Blog

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Summer Reading: Books for those who travel . . . and for those who stay home.

For a holiday this July, my good friend S. is going to Paris with her husband.  What fun!  My own summer travels will occur closer to home.  I can, nonetheless, celebrate her trip by reading books with a Paris connection.

Ideas for a few titles set in Paris can be found in this article from The Guardian where Malcolm Burgess sets down his list of the top 10 books set in the City of Lights.  One of Burgess' recommendations, The Hare with Amber Eyes, received a great deal of buzz last summer; it has been on my 'to read' list for a while.

My own thought is that you can't go wrong with The Paris Review.  I greatly enjoyed reading The Paris Review Interviews, and it might be time to check out The Paris Review Book for Planes, Trains, Elevators and Waiting Rooms.

A good read, supplemented with a glass of French wine and a plate of  artisan cheese, is no substitute for Paris but it is certainly something excellent to enjoy while staying at home.       



No comments:

Post a Comment